Sponsored in conjunction with Environmental Design & Construction, PROJECT: Green highlights sustainable projects featuring tile and stone from the past two years.
Project submissions are open to architects, designers, builders, contractors, distributors, retailers, manufacturers and installers. Projects must have been completed within the past two years: (January 2009-December 2010) and may be located either within the United States or internationally. Projects chosen for PROJECT: Green will be featured in an editorial in ED&C post-Coverings.
An independent panel of experts will judge the projects on the following criteria:
- Use of tile and stone in the project areas being considered, including where and how much
- Aesthetic Design: Aesthetic attractiveness and/or uniqueness of the installed finish (0–20 points)
- Positive Environmental Impact: Environmental effectiveness and/or significance of the project design, installation and/or operation (0–5 points)
- Environmental Innovation: Incorporation of design, installation and/or operational strategies not regularly addressed by green building standards or rating systems (0–5 points)
Use of Tile/Stone Products with Environmental Benefits:
- Products with recycled/reclaimed content (0–10 points)
- Low/no VOC adhesives, grouts or sealers (0–10 points)
- Salvaged/refurbished/reused materials (0–10 points)
- Use of tile or stone products instead of competitive coverings to achieve better performance-based benefits:such as extended material longevity and
durability; reduced maintenance; lower replacement frequency; enhanced user safety (0–10 points)
- Products with other third-party environmental acknowledgements and/or LCA reports (0–10 points)
- Products designed to reduce building energy loads (0–10 points)
- Products with innovative environmental technologies not addressed in items listed above (0–10 points)