Sponsor: Historic New Harmony, New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art, National Endowment for the Arts
Location: New Harmony, Indiana
Eligibility: Students and professionals in the following fields: (i) architecture, (ii) architectural drafting, (iii) landscape architecture, (iv) building design, (v) interior design, (vi) urban planning, (vii) construction, (viii) construction management, (ix) engineering, (x)studio art, or (xi) affordable housing. Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry.
July 1, 2011 - Registration and submissions deadline
August 1, 2011 - Round 1 winners notified
August 20-September 24, 2011 - Bicentennial House Competition Exhibition/Public Vote
October 1, 2011 - Round 2 winners notified
1st Place - $2,000
2nd Place - $1,000
3rd Place - $500
The winning design will be advanced to construction documents and become the property of the town of New Harmony. It will be given free of charge to anyone seeking to build within the town limits or immediate environs.
To be announced
In celebration of New Harmony’s bicentennial in 2014, Historic New Harmony and the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art, with support from the National Endowment for the Arts, are sponsoring a 2011 Bicentennial House Design Competition. Individuals or teams are invited to submit designs inspired by the traditional Harmonist Construction with emphasis on sustainable, energy efficient and affordable housing.
Contribute sustainable, affordable, contemporary design to unique architecture of New Harmony
Create healthy, comfortable homes
Minimize monthly gas and electric expenditures by conserving energy Reduce New Harmony’s impact on natural resources
B. Contest Focus:
Single family housing
Design living space that is attractive, functional and affordable
Living space that is a minimum of 1,200 square feet
Minimum space utility needs: kitchen, dining area, living area, 2-3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, storage for bedrooms, bathroom(s,) kitchen and entry area, laundry room /mechanical rooms.
1. Presentation boards should be confined to two, un-mounted 24”x 36” sheets of paper. Presentation boards should be 4,800 pixels by 7,200 pixels (24inx 36in @ 200 dpi) in JPG, PNG or GIF format. Please label all files with last name of designer/team leader and description: i.e. smith_presentationboard1.jpg.
2. Secondary images include building plan(s), building elevation, building sections and additional images. All image files should be at least 3000 x 2000 pixels (15x10in @200 dpi) Please label all files with last name of designer/team leader and description: i.e. smith_buildingelevation1. jpg. Secondary images must be limited to 10 (ten) images
3. A DVD of all project materials must accompany the entry.
4. Project description should not exceed three 8 1/2” x 11” pages and include information about materials, budget strategies, design intent and objectives.
5. Completed cost estimation based on 2011 construction start must include Life Cycle Costing or comparisons with conventional construction costs or both.
For more information, go to: http://www.usi.edu/nhgallery/competitions.asp