The Los Angeles chapter of American Institute of Architects Los Angeles (AIA|LA) announced the winners of the 2016 Design Awards program this week. This year’s awards breakdown consisted of its three categories that include honor awards for built projects, citations for forthcoming work, and a special category celebrating sustainable design.
Winners for the built project honors were peer-selected by a jury of architects based across the United States who are, according to a press release issued by AIA|LA, “ conversant in the field’s potential at national and international levels.” Jurors placed a special emphasis on design excellence for the completed projects, with Gensler’s Shanghai Tower, Diller Scofidio+Renfro’s Broad Museum, and Brooks + Scarpa’s The Six housing project taking top honors.
The organization also produced a group of winners for a counterpart competition, the AIA|LA Next LA awards, that honored as-yet-unbuilt work. The jury for these projects consisted of practicing architects, academics, and the Los Angeles Times architecture critic, Christopher Hawthorne. A few of the winners for this category included the Bi(H)OME project by Kevin Daly Architects; the Pure Tension Pavilion by Synthesis Design + Architecture, and the Studio Art Hall by wHY Architecture.
The organization also launched its first annual COTE LA awards, citing projects that “further and/or demonstrate achievement in the implementation of sustainability features.” These projects, in turn, were chosen by sustainability leaders who considered aspects like performance and system integration. Here, the Los Angeles Police Department Metropolitan Division Facility by Perkins+Will, the Pico Branch Library, by Koning Eizenberg Architecture and The Courtyard at La Brea by John V. Mutlow Architects and Patrick Tighe Architecture won top honors.
See below for the full list of winning firms and projects.
2016 AIA|LA Design Award Winners
- Shanghai Tower, (Shanghai, China), Gensler.
- Broad Museum, (Los Angeles, CA), Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Gensler.
- The Six – Affordable Housing for formerly Homeless and Disabled Veterans, (Los Angeles, CA), Brooks + Scarpa.
- Samsung American Headquarters, (San Jose, CA), NBBJ.
- Rajeunir Black Caviar Palm Desert, (Palm Desert, CA), Studio Jantzen / O-S-A.
- Embassy of the US Helsinki, Finland, (Helsinki, Finland), Moore Ruble Yudell Architects and Planners.
- IVRV House, (Los Angeles, CA), SCI-Arc.
- The Barbarian Group, (New York, NY), Clive Wilkinson Architects.
- MirrorHouse, (Los Angeles, CA), XTEN Architecture.
- Affordable Infill in the Inner City, (South Los Angeles, CA), Lehrer Architects LA.
- Montee Karp, (Malibu, CA), Patrick Tighe Architecture.
- Bi(H)OME, (Los Angeles, CA), Kevin Daly Architects.
- LAX CTA Entrance Phase 1, (Los Angeles, CA), AECOM, Los Angeles Design Studio.
- Pure Tension Pavilion, (Milan, Bologna, Venice and Rimini (Italy), Moscow (Russia), Palm Springs (US)), SDA | Synthesis Design + Architecture.
- The Bram Goldsmith Theatre at the Wallis, (Beverly Hills, CA), Studio Pali Fekete Architects [SPF:a].
- The Gores Group Headquarters, (Beverly Hills, CA), Belzberg Architects.
- CJ Corporation Blossom Park, (Gwanggyo, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea), Yazdani Studio of CannonDesign.
- MU77, (Los Angeles, CA), Arshia Architects.
- Loyola Marymount University Life Science Building, (Los Angeles, CA), CO Architects.
- Pomona College, Studio Art Hall, (Claremont, CA), wHY Architecture.
- Roberts Pavilion, Claremont McKenna College, (Claremont, CA), John Friedman Alice Kimm Architects.
- CJ Corporation Blossom Park (Interiors), (Gwanggyo, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea), CannonDesign.
2016 AIA|LA NEXT LA Awards
1st & Broadway Civic Center Park by Eric Owen Moss Architects. (Courtesy Eric Owen Moss Architects)
- 1st & Broadway Civic Center Park, (Los Angeles), Eric Owen Moss Architects
- WATERshed, (Los Angeles, CA), Lorcan O’Herlihy Architects.
- Victory Healthcare, (Los Angeles, CA), P-A-T-T-E-R-N-S.
- City on a City, (Los Angeles, CA), Zellner Naecker Architects.
- The Mountains, (Dubai United Arab Emirates), AECOM.
2016 AIA|LA COTE LA Awards
- LAPD Metropolitan Division Facility, (Los Angeles, CA), Perkins+Will.
- Pico Branch Library, (Santa Monica, CA), Koning Eizenberg Architecture.
- The Courtyard at La Brea, (Los Angeles, CA), John V. Mutlow Architects & Patrick Tighe Architecture.
- La Kretz Innovation Campus, (Los Angeles, CA), John Friedman Alice Kimm Architects.
- The Resort at Playa Vista, (Playa Vista, CA), Rios Clementi Hale Studios.