September 2019: International Practice
For this year’s international practice issue we looked at China’s massive Belt and Road Initiative, the trillion-dollar project aimed at tying the world to Beijing, and slavery’s role in the global construction industry.
In other stories we profile Detroit-based firm Akoaki, talk to the year’s newest crop of architecture deans, and preview local acts in the Chicago Architecture Biennial. In our reviews section, Barry Bergdoll reads Bauhaus histories, and Kenneth Frampton talks Kahn. We mark the opening of Sam Jacob’s new Cartoon Museum in London and SelgasCano’s Second Home co-working building in Los Angeles. We also reflect on the passing of César Pelli and Superstudio cofounder Cristiano Toraldo di Francia.
Our special section announces the winner of the 2019 Best of Products Awards, with big wins by Dzek, Standard Issue, and many more.
- Interview with Frances Bronet, president of the Pratt Institute
- Highlight: Resident Alien: Austrian Architects in America
- Highlight: New Glass Now
- Open: Sculpture garden at the New Orleans Museum of Art
- “In Case You Missed It,” the monthly news roundup
- Eavesdrop: Bloomberg’s tardigrade