The American Society of Landscape Architects is currently accepting presentation submissions for the ASLA 2017 Annual Meeting and EXPO, which will be held October 20-23, 2017 in Los Angeles. Individuals who are interested in presenting are invited to submit an online proposal by February 1, 2017 (11:59 pm PST).
In planning our annual meeting, ASLA focuses on the number one reason that attracts participants—the education program. Meeting attendees can earn up to 21 PDH from a well-balanced education program that focuses on the topics that ASLA members value and require in their day-to-day practices.
Education session speakers selected from this process will receive a full complimentary registration to the ASLA 2017 Annual Meeting and may also be eligible for reimbursement for one night’s hotel stay at an official ASLA hotel (estimated $750 value).
Landscape architecture professionals wishing to present at the Los Angeles meeting need to be active members of ASLA. Allied professionals are encouraged to both submit presentations and speak but are not required to be members of the Society.
Instructions for Submitting a Presentation
In order to successfully submit a presentation for consideration, all presenters must sign the speaker terms and agreement prior to the February 1st submission deadline. Additionally, the following items are needed for each presentation: speaker names with a biography, a session title, marketing statement, learning objectives, outline, and sources. Submissions should also speak to panel diversity and audience engagement.
- Field Session: Multiple speakers offer education combined with a field experience
- Education Session – Panel Format: One moderator leads a guided discussion between 1-3 panelists
- Education Session – Presentation Format: 1-3 speakers who co-present
Tactical Tips and Sample Submission Materials
- Tactical Tips for Session Submissions
- Sample Speaker Terms and Agreement
- Sample Presentation: Speaker Bios, Session Title, Marketing Statement, Learning Objectives, Topic Areas, and Presentation Outline
- Sample Field Session Presentation 1
- Sample Field Session Presentation 2
Education Program Format
Education Sessions will take place on Friday, October 20, through Monday, October 23, 2017. Presenters should plan to conduct a minimum of 50-60 minutes of presentation followed by 30 minutes of Q&A (total time = 90 minutes), with no more than three presenters.
Submission Evaluation and Selection
The selection process for the ASLA Annual Meeting Education Program is competitive. Only 1 in 4 presentations will be selected. The ASLA Annual Meeting Education Advisory Committee (AMEAC) will review, evaluate, and score submissions using the following criteria:
- Relevance to the profession of landscape architecture
- Clearly stated and achievable learning objectives
- Timeliness of the topic
- Subject matter appeal
- Appropriate audience type and expertise level (intermediate, advanced)
- Speaker qualifications and diversity
|December 6, 2016||Call for Presentations Opens|
|February 1, 2017||Deadline for submitting proposals (11:59 PM PST)|
|February 2017||ASLA Annual Meeting Education Advisory Committee (AMEAC) evaluates proposals and makes recommendations|
|March 2017||Selection notifications sent to proposers|