archasm invites architects, students, engineers, designers, artists and philosophers to send in their entries for our competition
- Idea based competition
- Single stage competition
- Team of maximum three members
- No professional qualification necessary for eligibility
- Teams can be interdisciplinary
The city of Paris is rightfully termed as ‘the cultural capital of the world’ because of its rich and diverse ethos and character. Paris has been the artistic epicentre of the world since renaissance, inspiring many artists, philosophers, writers and architects to innovate and break the shackles of resistance. The city was home to great revolutionaries like Picasso, Miro, Modigliani, Voltaire and Corbusier. But one of the most tolerant cities of the world was shook by recent terror attacks that sent shockwaves around the world.
The most serious problem of the 21st century besides climate change has been terrorism, aggression and wars in the name of religion, political mileage, energy resources and economic factors like money and drugs etc. Millions of people have been brutally murdered and executed all these years, while a significant number are still dying every day to satisfy the whims and fancies of fanatic, radical and greedy leaders and organisations. Attacks and conflicts in Paris, Iraq, Syria, New York, Afghanistan, Mumbai, Ukraine, Madrid, Beirut, Nigeria, Bali etc. have changed and altered the political and cultural landscape in which architects and urbanists operate.
The aim of this competition is to design a ‘Peace Pavilion’ in Paris that would exhibit the virtues of hope and tolerance, translated through the language of art and architecture. The pavilion should be a free standing temporary structure that can host a variety of activities and exhibitions.
- The pavilion should stimulate and educate people about the virtues of social and religious harmony. The pavilion should serve as a place for personal reflection, a thinking place, where the visitors can contemplate and introspect.
- The competition seeks the inclusion of art, in any form, pure or translated, within the pavilion. The participants are free to create their content and function of the pavilion, which could depict situations or events, showcase the horrors and trauma of people and inspire them to stop the menace of terror and promote peace.
- The pavilion should of a temporary or semi-permanent nature that would constructed of durable and easy-to-maintain materials, and shall comply with building codes. The aesthetic quality, materiality, volume and form should add vitality, beauty and a sense of identity to the space, paying respect to the history and contextuality of the surrounding.
- The pavilion should become an important landmark and reference point for the inhabitants and visitors of the city, a space that is integrated in the natural environment and that is flexible enough to adapt to a wide variety of activities in and around the structure.
The participants are asked to design a pavilion in the Champ de Mars near the Eiffel Tower, in the area outlined by Avenue Joseph Bouvard and Avenue Charles Risler.
- Start of Competition and Early Registration: 16th February 2016
- Early Registration ends: 30th April 2016
- Standard Registration starts: 1st May 2016
- Deadline for Questions: 10th May 2016
- Standard Registration ends: 30th May 2016
- Closing day for Submissions 31st May 2016
- Announcement of Winners: 19th June 2016
*Note: All deadlines are 11:59 pm – 00:00 IST (India).
Winning participants will receive prizes totalling INR 2,00,000 with the distribution as follows:
First prize- INR 1,00,000/- + Certificate
Second prize- INR 60,000/- + Certificate
Third prize- INR 40,000/- + Certificate
10 Honorable mentions
Winners and honorable mentions will be published on archasm’s website and several international architecture magazines and websites partnered by us.
From 16th February to 30th April 2016
- For Indian nationals- INR 1500 (per team)
- For Foreign nationals- EUR 60 (per team)
From 1st May to 30th May 2016
- For Indian nationals- INR 1800 (per team)
- For Foreign nationals- EUR 80 (per team)
Entrants may register by filling the registration form and submitting it with the appropriate payment through our secure gateway on our website www.archasm.in
Group discounts apply for a minimum of 5 teams from one particular architecture school/university as our initiative to promote more participation from students.
Send us the following details at firstname.lastname@example.org to avail the offer.
Names of all the participating teams members and their respective team leaders.
Name of the university.
School ID proofs of the team leaders.
It will not be possible to amend or update any information relating to your registration including the names of team members once validated.
- Participant teams will be disqualified if any of the competition rules or submission requirements are not considered. Participation assumes acceptance of the regulations.
- Team code is the only means of identification of a team as it is an anonymous competition.
- The official language of the competition is English.
- The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Contacting the Jury is prohibited.
- archasm as the competition organizer, reserves the right to modify the competition schedule if deemed necessary.
Terms and Conditions
Please see the terms and conditions section on www.archasm.in.
Competition project disclaimer
This is an open international competition hosted by archasm to generate progressive design ideas. There are no plans for the Paris Pavilion to be built. The competition is organized for education purpose only.