Submission: December 14, 2016
Registration: December 14, 2016
Location: Oakland, USA
Walk this Way: The Broadway/Webster Project aims to transform the areas around, under and through the Broadway and Webster Street underpasses of the I-880 Freeway into a beautiful, safe, walkable, inviting, green and iconic passageway connecting Downtown Oakland and the Waterfront.
The City of Oakland seeks the best talent in urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, lighting design, engineering, transportation planning, acoustics, public art and community engagement to reimagine a new future for this key area of Downtown Oakland and to develop new tools to address the many underpasses that challenge our neighborhoods citywide.
The Downtown Oakland SuperConnect Project will:
• Reknit the Downtown communities and neighborhoods severed by I-880.
• Reconnect the City with its Downtown Waterfront.
• Restore the continuum of walkability of Downtown Oakland, and enable people of all ages and ability to walk and bike safely, easily, and enjoyably – day and night.
• Transform a series of blighted areas in and around the Broadway and Webster underpasses into a safe, green, inviting place for the benefit of the public.
• Strengthen Downtown Oakland as the City’s vibrant business, residential and cultural center.
• Serve as a model and a catalyst for the transformation of other underpasses across the City of Oakland.
• Reinforce Broadway as a walkable, green corridor and strengthen Webster Street as an attractive, community-oriented passageway for pedestrians and bicyclists traveling between Chinatown and Jack London District.
• Support local businesses and cultural institutions.
• Reignite investment and activity in the areas of Downtown adjacent to freeways.
• Improve health and quality of life for adjacent communities.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The City of Oakland invites talented, experienced, multidisciplinary Design Teams to submit qualifications and a conceptual design approach to redesign the areas around, under and through Broadway and Webster Street underpasses of the I-880 Freeway, and to develop a toolkit of design elements that can be applied to other underpasses in Oakland. The Design Team would undertake the following scope of work:
• Develop an inspiring and implementable design for a set of beautiful, safe, walkable, inviting, green, and iconic passageways between Downtown Oakland and the Waterfront by reimagining the area surrounding and including the Broadway and Webster Street underpasses of the I-880 Freeway (including 1 block north, 1 block south, 1 block east and 1 block west from each of the underpasses);
• Develop a template of design elements that can be applied to other underpasses in the future;
• Conduct community engagement to garner public input;
• Develop construction drawings (35%) and a cost estimate for implementation;
• Develop construction documents for bidding (100%);
• Support the City to secure approvals and permits;
• Provide construction management support.
Design Teams may be led or co-led by a firm specializing in urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, or engineering. The City of Oakland encourages participation of local firms within the Design Team.
The deadline for submissions to the RFP is December 14, 2016 by 2:00pm PST.
RFP Submissions should be sent to: Office of the City Administrator, Department of Contracts and Compliance, 250 Frank Ogowa Plaza, Suite 3341, Oakland, CA 94612.
Transmittal letters should be addressed to: Sabrina Landreth, City Administrator. Phone (510) 238-3190.