LOCATION: El Clavín estate, a housing development only 5 minutes drive from the city of Guadalajara, Spain.
ELIGIBILITY: Architects and architecture students, construction and design professionals
Abouthaus is a training and service platform for people who are building their own house. One of our main services is organizing international housing contests.
OBJECTIVE OF THE COMPETITION:
The Straw Bale Ecological House competition is a contribution to the natural, sustainable and efficient homebuilding.
The eco-house will be built with a modular and prefabricated system of straw bales, a green roof, a greenhouse and consequently a high level of energy efficiency.
A successful design must bear in mind all limitations described, as well as make creative additions with regards to the daily life of Oscar, his daughter and his family, in relation to the outside marked by the slope and the wonderful views.
The program for Óscar´s house is based on the actual needs of a solitary man who resides in Madrid (40 minutes drive) and will start inhabiting this house occasionally as his GREAT REFUGE.
For this reason the house will be built in 2 stages: The Refuge and The Extension.
El refuge, first stage:
- Kitchen – Dining room.
The extension, second stage:
- Living – dinning room.
- 3 bedrooms.
- Laundry room.
- Roofed summer deck.
- Natural swimming pool.
Architecture students, architects and construction and design professionals can register and participate in the contest.
Both individuals and groups (no more than 3 people) can participate. Each participant may submit a single project and may not be part of more than one group.
Individual participants or groups can be from any country.
Anyone interested in the project may participate, regardless of age, country of origin, career or previous work experience.
Those interested can download the contest rules directly from the contest’s website. Proposals can be submitted in English or Spanish.
In addition to the personal evaluation criteria of each member of the jury, the following variables will be evaluated:
- Its suitability to the contextual facts, the local climate and the law.
- Its innovation and importance.
- Its functionality: interpretation of the proposed program in both construction phases.
- The bioclimatic design strategies included.
- Its technical and economic viability.
Each member of the jury will evaluate each submitted project following the same evaluation protocol. The final outcome of the competition will be based on the sum of the four individual evaluations
PRIZE: USD $2,300 + Publication.
KEY DATES AND REGISTRATION FEES:
- Advance registration: 19 February – 19 March (USD $80)
- Las minute registration: 20 March – 5 May (USD $100)
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT THE PROPOSALS: 19 de May 2019.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE WINNERS: 24 de June 2019.
- Architect Ángela Ruiz. Arquitectura y Biocontrucción Atipical, Madrid, Spain..
- Architect Jordi Serramia, SingularGreen, Alacant, Spain.
- Architect Jose Veiga, Ecopaja-Green Building, Gasteiz, Spain.
- The house owner: Óscar López. Madrid, Spain.